Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Allah Allah!

I'm on day 3 of mysterious food poisoning ...

At the medical center yesterday the doctor said "I am thinking you are ready to go back to Canada now."

I think I am. I think I am mostly because I miss having a bathtub and easily accessible ramen noodles and McDonalds chicken nuggets ( I don't know why I want to put junk back into my body after essentially doing a master cleanse...but I do. Badly)

I miss calling sick into work and people believing you (or even not believing you) but it counting towards a "personal day" and not requiring a doctors note.

I want my mom to be able to come over to my house, or to be able go to my parents house when I feel crappy vs. receiving frantic skype calls filled with concern over my health (from Facebook updates my mom can still keep pretty good tabs on me) and the situation between the U.S. and Turkey, Israel and Turkey, and Turkey and its Kurdish population.

When I was home last year for a week I wrote:

On the other side of the Pacific (or Atlantic, I suppose depending where you are coming from) I am up again at 4 a.m., or 2:00 p.m. Turkey Time.

Back in Canada I ve noticed some things:

- People do not take as good care of themselves
- People do not take as good care of their stuff (maybe because we have so much)
- The recession has hit most things, ie. most things in your average retail store are 50% off - which, of course, makes me wonder how much these goods actually cost to produce and how much price gouging goes on in better times
- I hate Air Canada
- North America knows how to make junk food - well
- We are boring because we are lucky enough to be boring - stable government, stable currency (more or less) healthcare, social welfare ... it's more fun when you have no idea what tomorrow will bring ( and more stressful)
-The ketchup is sweeter
-My parent's neighbourhood has gone baaaad. Or because I live in a compound I haven't come into contact with homeless people/people on bicycles in 6 months.
-I love my friends. I love my friends that drove an hour and a half to hang out in my living room and dissect our current romantic situation(s)/that time in high school we ....
- I love the mountains!
-I love the ocean!
-I love talking about: yoga, west 4th, kits snobs, yummy mummies, the gays, Davie street,Mixed Martial Arts ... with people who know what I am talking about.
-I actually don't hate my mom's dog. She is quite interested in what I am doing, more interested than my younger brother.

I love Vancouver, but ...

This was over a year ago and Turkey time is coming to a close in a little over a month.

I miss things from home,

still ...

No comments:

Post a Comment